Moxie is a Chihuahua/dachshund/beagle mix. She turned two yesterday. Potter is a kitty we rescued in the fall. He turned one yesterday. So, we threw a party. The dog cupcakes were vegan, but the cat ones had tuna. Cats are carnivores, where dogs are omnivores. Which basically meant, if the cats didn’t have meat as the main ingredient, they probably wouldn’t eat it. The cats and most of the dogs went crazy for their cupcakes.
Recipe for Cat cupcake: Makes 3 cakes
3 oz can of solid white albacore tuna (plus extra for topping)
3 tablespoons shredded cheese
3 tablespoons of any kind of flour
1 egg (I used a flax egg)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break up tuna
- Mix ingredients together.
- Divide batter into three cups of lined or greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with tuna, cooked shrimp or a pinch of catnip.
Potter and Kobi (pictured later) loved the cakes.
Recipe for the dog cupcakes: Makes 6
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
1 egg ( again, I used a flax egg)
1 can coconut milk (just the hard part)
1/2 cup of peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 6 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat peanut butter and vegetable oil with an electric mixer until smooth. Add in carrots, honey (I don’t normally use this, but I had some leftover from my non-vegan days), and the egg and beat. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Divide batter into the 6 muffin cups.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the coconut milk cream with the peanut butter until smooth and fluffy. Top the cooled cupcakes with a generous amount. I then topped with a dog biscuit.
As you can see, Moxie, Severus and Cosmo loved the cakes.
This was Potter’s new toy. He is a very curious kitty and always getting into trouble. I’m hoping this new toy will help occupy him. Kobi also liked it.
This weeks stats weren’t the best, but I will persevere and keep my head up. So, I started out at 197 and on the 31st I weighed 189.2. So, I only lost .6 from last week, but 7.8 in total. I will stay focused and stay away from those carbs.